2009年4月12日星期日

First recording for worship team

It took about an hour to complete everything. It made me like my MacBook even more!

When I first started, I wondered whether MacBook is powerful enough to handle GarageBand and the recording process. Turned out to be sufficient. After all, what I've done so far is nothing complicated. Just a track or two.

This is the first time I played with GarageBand. I used to think this kind of music editing software has a steep learning curve. Turned out I could even play and record the tune with only the QWERTY keyboard. Things are as simple as clicking the record button and start playing.

Editing the recording took most of my time. The playing would not automatically snap to grid. And my accuracy was not that good. So, I needed to adjust the position of each note one by one. This time, instead of using track pad, I plugged in my mouse to do the editing, or it will take even longer.

Using WireTap Studio, recording music and voice into MP3 became a piece of cake. I only took 1 take, with a not so satisfactory result. The main issue was I didn't sit straight during recording as I wanted to get closer to the built-in mic. So, I couldn't breathe as normal and my voice sounded weak. Also, without metronome, my voice always came later than the note. Sounded like having a delay.

It was fun. I enjoyed the whole process. My target is to squeeze the process to 30 to 45 minutes. That would minimize the impact to my family. To do so, I believe it'd better to have a MIDI keyboard, which I have started sourcing since last Saturday. I am targetting a 25 keys one. No more room at home for another keyboard.

At the end, I hope all the things I've done can help my teammates to enjoy singing, especially singing different parts, more with sufficient practice.

1 則留言:

Unknown 說...

Well done!

Yesterday at 7:30 pm, there was a program on A cappella on TV. It seems that after Gaysingers, more people are interested.

There is a conductor who promotes this. He formed a male troupe which is really good. There's also this boy who is a BBA graduate but who can actually make the sounds of different percussion instruments (after practising for several years of course!). But it is really exciting. See whether you can watch the program on line.