2009年1月8日星期四

Rebuilding Bible Reading

My life was quite miserable by the end of 2008. I was completely powerless when facing temptation. And I felt no life within. Stress from work was one reason. Lack of prayer and quiet time are some other. The situation was so bad that at one point, I asked myself, "What do you want? If you want to enjoy this world, then stop doing religious activities and just dwell in it. If you really treasure eternity, then don't be half-hearted and try your best to revive."

Well, I don't have much choice. My first attempt is rebuilding my Bible-reading habit.

I downloaded MacSword long ago to my MacBook but haven't used it much. MacSword is a Bible study software, which allow user to download different versions of Bible for offline reading. To ensure I would read it, I turned on the "Open at Login" option. So now, every time I open my MacBook, the first thing I see is a chapter of the Bible.

Another tool I have is iPhone. I downloaded a bible software into my iPhone, which also has daily reading recommendation. Now, I can read Bible in any place without an excuse of not having one.

Life is getting a bit better after starting reading again. I was overwhelmed by messages in this world. Now, things start to balance a little bit more.

Of course, the reading activity would not lead me to have a closer relationship with God. That is proved in my early years, when I did "daily devotion" every day but couldn't sense the presence of God in any way. I just hope that after building the habit, I can separate more time to pray and to meditate. There is still a long way to go.

5 則留言:

Family 說...

總覺得這是一個循環,我指高高低低的靈性與面對誘惑,這無論你忙不忙都會發生的。事後常想,也許這又是一次神告訴我我需要祂的時間,即是祂在提醒我,亦是一個經歷神的時刻。知道自己的不足和缺乏,總比麻木習慣了好,又是讓聖靈洗滌的時候了。

也許BB的午睡改變,會給你多點時間的。加油!

Stephen 說...

對,這是一個循環.但循環亦有向上和向下之分.觀乎這幾年的情況,若非有事奉和公司的小組,我是向下居多.

大家一同努力吧.

Unknown 說...

Never be disheartened. Even the greatest king of the Israelites was like this when he was on earth. It just shows & reminds us 離開上帝,我們什麼都不是、什麼都不能作。That's also why we need to be in a community, otherwise the "fire" will flicker & eventually die. I've seen far too many real life examples. 不過,上帝的恩典夠用,只要我們不放棄,「死 lur」,就算爬,都會向前和向上的。

為您們祈禱。

匿名 說...

I also installed the esword bible on my ppc phone so that I can read the Bible whereever I am. Hope you can successfully establish the rebuilding. Pray for you.

Btw, your blog is so interesting.


Shu Lap

Stephen 說...

Thanks for your complement. Glad that you enjoy it.